Auto-expand problems with some folders in Favorites of IE8 (& IE7)in XP
When mousing over the first folder in Favorites, intermittantly it will not auto-expand, other folders are working. I have checked third party forums and some recommended "deleting" the entry and adding it back. Others indicated that placement in the
list appears to be the problem, and so removing it and adding it back to another location in the list fixes the issue.
One party stated that he found a code error, where the conditions specified on the mouseover were incorrect. I have chosen to seek the answer
on Microsoft's site, so that once a answer is found, the problem can be resolved.
Keys to the Problem Auto-expand problems with some folders in Favorites of IE8 (& IE7)in XP
Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2) as well as your current IE version when posting in an IE-specific forum or newsgroup.
Please do so in your next reply.
When you open Favorites via Menu bar, is a downward-pointing double-arrow displayed at the very bottom of the list of bookmarks & folders? [yes/no]
Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?
=> Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer (No add-ons).
Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to IE7 & IE8 in all OSS]
Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications running in the background when you
installed (and/or uninstalled and/or reinstalled) IE7 and/or IE8?
Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
Manually editing the Windows registry to fix Error Auto-expand problems with some folders in Favorites of IE8 (& IE7)in XP
Caution: Unless you an advanced PC user, we DO NOT recommend editing the Windows registry manually. Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall Windows. We do not guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
- Click the Start button.
- Type "command" in the search box... DO NOT hit ENTER yet!
- While holding CTRL-Shift on your keyboard, hit ENTER.
- You will be prompted with a permission dialog box.
- Click Yes.
- A black box will open with a blinking cursor.
- Type "regedit" and hit ENTER.
- In the Registry Editor, select the Error 0x9C-related key (eg. Windows Operating System) you want to back up.
- From the File menu, choose Export.
- In the Save In list, select the folder where you want to save the Windows Operating System backup key.
- In the File Name box, type a name for your backup file, such as "Windows Operating System Backup".
- In the Export Range box, be sure that "Selected branch" is selected.
- Click Save.
- The file is then saved with a .reg file extension.
- You now have a backup of your MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION-related registry entry.
Recommended Method to Fix the Problem: Auto-expand problems with some folders in Favorites of IE8 (& IE7)in XP:
How to Fix Auto-expand problems with some folders in Favorites of IE8 (& IE7)in XP with SmartPCFixer?
1. Click the button to download SmartPCFixer . Install it on your system. Open it, and it will scan your computer. The errors will be shown in the list.
2. After the scan is done, you can see the errors and problems which need to be fixed.
3. The Repair part is finished, the speed of your computer will be much higher than before and the errors have been removed. You can also use other functions in this software. Like dll downloading, junk file cleaning and print spooler error repair.
Related: AMD Radeon HD 7800M Win8 not working [Anwsered],I can access the internet, get on facebook and get to hotmail, but I can't play games on facebook and I can't open or respond to my e-mails,I keep getting this Media Player error when I log on my computer. [Anwsered],[Anwsered] System Hanging on shutdown and restart,Unable to get the Vlookup property of the WorksheetFunction class,Solution to Error: Error: "0x81000032 make sure the C: drive is online and set to NTFS" when trying to backup to external hard drive.
,Troubleshoot:External Hard Drive not listed in Windows 7 backup wizard Error
,I'm always being signed off so annoying Tech Support
,Solution to Problem: Impossible to use Internet Explorer! I keep getting the same error message every time i try to use IE.
,Solution to Problem: Referencing data in another file
,Troubleshoot:Error: "0x81000032 make sure the C: drive is online and set to NTFS" when trying to backup to external hard drive. Error,External Hard Drive not listed in Windows 7 backup wizard Tech Support,Tech Support: I'm always being signed off so annoying,Solution to Problem: Impossible to use Internet Explorer! I keep getting the same error message every time i try to use IE.,Referencing data in Access using Excel [Anwsered],Need Best Way To Present Data [Anwsered],Same question but for windows 7 home edition,sometimes fullscreen won't activate [Solved],Solution to Error: We bought a new computer with windows 7 and it is constantly freezing. How do we fix this?,Solution to Error: Windows 8 update crash (2013-07-22)
Read More: How to Fix - backup & recovery window, when clicking on turn on schedule or anything on that page.?,Troubleshooting:auto play dialog box.,How to Fix - backing up restore points?,Solution to Error: Backup on vista doesn't work,Tech Support: Asus s200 language change,application not found error,any problems in a team where one has Windows XP and the other has Windows 7?,Application/Object-Defined Error,An Excel formula question where hours are totalled and cumulating,Anyone know the hardware email?